ensl
IJS – Odsek za anorgansko kemijo in tehnologijo
Beginnings
120 amperska elektrolizna celica za pridobivanje elementarnega fluora (1965)

120 ampere electrolysis cell for making elementary fluorine (1965)

Beginnings of today’s department for inorganic chemistry and technology are reaching in year 1952, when department for fuel and UF6R-3 was founded with task to restrain production of nuclear fuel. This program was even in today’s circumstances and at present condition of development more than ambitious. Goal of this program was to develop future national production of uranium dioxide and make pills from it for use in nuclear reactors.

Main task of department from foundation till 1962 was production and storing of fluorine which is essential and required in procedure of getting isotope rich uranium. Fluorine was made with electrolysis and it was necessary to develop suitable electrolytic cell in that time.

It was also necessary to develop a lot of other technical solutions for work with fluorine beside mentioned. This kind of technology was inaccessible to public in that time. The group succeeded to synthesize first few grams of uranium hexafluoride in the year of 1958. It is used in further process of making isotope rich uranium.

Research areas in department were expanded on wider field of inorganic fluorine chemistry in 1962. Group on institute synthesize new compound XeF6 which is one of the first compounds with noble gases.

Department was reorganized in two new sections at the end of year 1965. Department for ceramic continued research on field of uranium dioxide. Research on the field of fluorine was continued by Department for fluorine chemistry.

 

 

 

Group was very active in exchange of scientific information. As a result Ljubljana was chosen for 4th European symposium for fluorine chemistry.

 

Department moved to new place in institute in 1987 and equipped new laboratories with modern equipment. Department has it’s own x-ray diffractometer since 1988. Analytical laboratory also developed strongly in all years of existence. They are doing a lot of services for outside customers besides analyses for department.

 

Department was renamed to Department for inorganic chemistry and technology in 1992. Department is capable of doing most demandingly top basic experimental researches on field of inorganic chemistry. Fact about today’s reputation of group testifies, that they were second time organizers of Chemistry of fluorine symposium in 1995. This was eleventh European symposium in a row.

 

Part of Department’s activity is also promotion of science for decades. Department has special school laboratory intended for students who have particular interest in chemistry. Students can do various interesting experiments during courses organized by mentors from department. This is good way to expand knowledge and find new things about chemistry.